What's new on CPAN - September 2014
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure.
- Untappd::API provides a Perl interface to the beer drinking social network
- ComXo::Call2 looks interesting, appears to be an API to a switchboard telco service
- cpan-outdated-corois a faster version of the useful cpan-outdated app
- Easily get the directory of an installed Perl module with pmdir e.g:
$ cd $( pmdir Moose )
- App::sslmaker helps you create your own SSL certificates
- Get a weather report at the terminal using App::wu (disclosure - I am the module author). If you live in Japan you may be interested in the new module WWW::Livedoor::Weather instead
Async & Concurrency
- Net::DNS::Native is a shiny new non-blocking DNS resolver
- Scalar::Watcher is very interesting: allows you to monitor a variable for changes and invoke a function when they occur
- Wow - parse card magnetic strip data with Card::Magnetic
- Data::Partial::Google filters partial data structures “Google style”
- Tie a hash or array to an INI file with INI_File
- MySQL::Warmer will warm up your MySQL server! (populates the cache I think)
- Data::Bitfield makes it easier to manage low level data bit encoding integers (bitfields).
- Quickly clean up string data with Str::Filter. It provides a collection of useful functions for sprucing up strings
Config & DevOps
- Rex::JobControl is a web interface for Rex, the Perl based DevOps tool. Also check out their beautiful website.
- Search for and load modules at runtime with Plugin::Loader
- Path::Extended::Tiny wraps the wonderful Path::Tiny module with methods from Path::Extended
Math, Science & Language
- Math::Shape::Vector is a 2d vector library, intended for games programming (disclosure - I am the module author).
- Text::IQ is a fabulous module for analysing text - it returns basic stats about the text as well as flesch, kincaid and fog scores.
- Module::Runtime’s recent release broke some versions of Moose. Not to worry, check for conflicts with Module::Runtime::Conflicts
- Object::Util provides a collection of utility
- Limper is interesting - a dependency free, lightweight web framework
- New user agents! LWP::Simple::REST exports RESTful request methods for LWP and Net::HTTP::Client is a lightweight user agent in the vein of HTTP::Tiny
- Conveniently create and verify secure messages using PBKDF2::Tiny
- Find out your IP address with WWW::IP (disclaimer - I am the module author)
- WebService::Client is a role that makes it easy to quickly churn out a web service client
Testing & Exceptions
- Test::NoOverride is very cool - it implements a test for overridden methods, with some sensible defaults