What's new on CPAN - October 2014
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure.
- WebService::HackerNews provides an interface to HackerNews, woohoo!
- Like music album cover art? WWW::Search::Coveralia provides a search API for Coveralia.com
- Games::Dukedom implements the land management game in the terminal
- Convert anything to anything in the cloud using App::cloudconvert
- App::DistSync is a file synchronization app
Async & Concurrency
- Test::Async::HTTP is a mock class for testing the asynchronous user agent
- Lock::Socket is a clever module that provides process locking via sockets
- Slurp with confidence using File::Slurper
- It has a long title but it’s worth it: DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::Serializer::Sereal inflates / deflates into DBIx columns using the super-fast Sereal!
- Couchbase is a new Perl client for the NoSQL database, implemented in XS
- Geo::Address::Formatter formats addresses from all over the World.
Config & DevOps
- FFI::TinyCC provides an interface to the super-fast (compile time) TinyCC compiler
- Another useful FFI library, FFI::CheckLib will check that a C library is available for FFI to use
Math, Science & Language
- Generate random, normally distributed numbers with Math::Random::Normal::Leva
- Related, Rand::Urandomwill generate better pseudo random numbers
- Do efficient fuzzy matching with Tree::BK
- Rstats exports R functions, an interesting alternative to Statistics::R. Next step, Inline::R!
- MooseX::Role::Hashable enables Moose object to be convertible into hashes!
- Get some useful extra type constraint methods from MooseX::Types::MoreUtils
Testing & Exceptions
- Devel::DidYouMean intercepts failed subroutine calls and suggests useful alternatives (disclaimer - I am the module author.)
- Conveniently test that numbers are within tolerance using Test::Deep::NumberTolerant
- Per the documention: Mojo::Pg “makes PostgreSQL a lot of fun to use with the Mojolicious”. Check it out!
- Want to generate a sitemap for a web app? Check out WWW::Sitemap::Simple
- Dancer2::Plugin::Auth::OAuth makes is easy to incorporate open auth into a Dancer2 web app.
Help us make “What’s new on CPAN” better! Add your suggestions to the r/perl post for this article.
Updates: additional web modules added to article 2014-11-08.