What's new on CPAN - November 2014
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure. Lot’s of cool new stuff on CPAN in November, including: a new take on fatpacking Perl programs, TiVo for LWP and a lightning-fast Plack handler.
APIs & Apps
- Ceph::Rados provides a Perl interface to librados, the distributed object store
- Manage your to-do lists with App::todoist an app for todoist.com
- App::loggrep implements a date search for log files
- Exchange SMS with Perl and ClickSend using SMS::ClickSend
- App::Implode packs Perl programs into a single executable file using a cpanfile. Alternative to App::FatPacker et al
- GnuCash::SQLite provides a Perl interface for GnuCash SQLite files
Config & DevOps
- Want a parsed list of all Amazon Web Service ip addresses? Check out AWS::Networks
- recommended loads preferred modules on demand at runtime, but won’t die if they’re not available
- Dist::Zilla::Plugin::Bitbucket is a Dist Zilla plugin for GitHub alternative, Bitbucket
- Need to create a temp directory whilst running tests? Check out Test::TempDir::Tiny, it will create a temp directory and not delete it if tests fail.
- Algorithm::ConsistentHash::JumpHash implements the Jump consistent hash algorithm
- Parse and format IRC messages using String::Tagged::IRC
- Regexp::Lexer tokenizes regexes, very cool!
Games & Entertainment
- Crypt::Trifid implements the classic Trifid cipher dating from 1901. Do not hash your passwords with it!
- Video::Generator is a Perl class for, err creating videos
Math, Science & Language
- Bio::KEGG::API provides a Perl interface to the KEGG database (Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes)
- Finance::StockAccount is a well-documented, comprehensive module for monitoring stock portfoloio performance.
- Types::Git is an interesting distribution; it provides several Perl Type::Tiny classes for Git related types
- Ingy and David’s Inline module has a great new tutorial, it’s well worth reading.
- MooX::Prototype implements the prototype pattern
- TiVo for LWP; record and playback LWP interactions with Test::VCR::LWP
- Test::JSON::RPC::Autodoc generates markdown documentation for JSON RPC Web applications
- What a great idea: Selenium::Screenshot lets you compare and contrast Selenium screenshots to detect UI changes.
- Gazelle is an XS-based, preforking Plack handler, for, (to quote the docs) “performance freaks”. Let’s see some benchmarks!