What's new on CPAN - January 2016
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure. Enjoy!
N.B. Last year’s “module of the month” experiment has come to an end. I think there are better ways to promote Perl modules and developers (see CPAN Weekly for example).
APIs & Apps
- Convert CPAN distributions into RPM packages with the newly-repackaged App::CPANtoRPM!
- App::Inspect helps you easily find the versions and locations of installed modules
- App::tt is a command line time tracking app
- Net::Duo provides a Perl API for the popular multifactor authentication service
- Read articles from two popular sources at the command line: App::tldr and WebService::TDWTF
Config & Devops
- Conveniently find local outdated modules and for CPAN:CPAN::Diff and Pinto: DarkPAN::Compare
- Dispatch log events to Slack with log4perl and Log::Dispatch::Slack
- Useful for low-level network tasks, Net::Frame::Layer::VRRP provides a Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol class
- A simple way to get a high-resolution Unix epoch: Time::TAI::Simple
- Types::SQL is library of SQL types; useful for Moo/Moose/Mouse classes
Development & Version Control
- Interesting; call functions / methods from a different caller with Call::From
- Export::Declare provides simple and clean ways to export code and variables.
- Importer provides convenient routines for importing (and renaming!) code from modules
- Easily test non-blocking Perl scripts (like Mojo apps) with Test::Script::Async
- Test2::Workflow is a framework for building testing workflows (e.g. Test2::Tools::Spec)
- Make scalars which execute a subroutine every time they’re accessed using Tie::Scalar::Callback
- Paul Evans continues to deliver new hardware tools via Device::Chip! Get a driver for the PCF8563 chip (Device::Chip::PCF8563), and a driver for SD and MMC cards (Device::Chip::SDCard)
- Poker::Eval is a base class providing routines for Poker games including dealing, scoring and calculating expected win rates.
- URI::redis provides a URI class specific to Redis URIs
Science & Mathematics
- Bio::HTS is an early-stage Perl interface for htslib
- Get cryptographically-secure and fast pseudo random number generators using Crypt::DRBG